Last fall I went antiquing with dh and I came across a box of linens to be embroidered. Most had never been started and some had just the beginnings of work done to them. I bought the box for $20 with 14 pieces to do.
My favorite piece is the one I did first and just recently finished it. It is a table runner or dresser scarf of 100% pure linen. I chose rather primitive holiday colors for it in hopes that it will sell in the shop where I do consignment.
The design is rather simple but kind of elegant, I think. I chose a deep cranberry for the French knots, did I say 1344 of them! Gold for the daisy chain accent stitches, a soft brown for the vine that I stitched in a back stitch, and a forest green for the "leaves", done in a fishbone stitch. They rather remind me of pine trees.
I hemmed it with a double turn 1/4" hem, hand stitched and finished with a back stitch in the same forest green.
My original thought was to find some vintage crocheted or tatted lace to sew onto the edge all around. But reconsidering, I didn't think I would find enough of one kind to do that and if so, it would be rather expensive. And that would add to the selling price. So I opted to just keep it simple and I am glad I did. The finished piece looks just right. Lastly, I hand soaked it in some warm water with a bit of Ivory dish soap. Let me just say that the linen was filthy. Don't know how old the piece was and how long it had been sitting in someone's house or attic or drawer. but after soaking and rinsing, I rolled it in a beach towel to get the excess water out before laying it flat to dry. Final step was to iron it from the back side and voila', done.